Monday, April 2, 2012

[ 13 / 52 ]

Week Thirteen : Good Morning?

Week 13

Technically this picture wasn't taken in time for week 13 of the 52 Weeks Project as it is sunrise on Monday morning, but I'm going to let it slide.

Friday afternoon, we got a call at work from a client telling us they wanted us to come in and pitch our services to them. It's always great when clients are calling and this is one of the biggest names in Japanese electronics, so we would love to have their business. The catch: they wanted us to come in Monday afternoon.

The result was a whirlwind 72 hours that saw me leave the office at 4am, 6am, and 4:30am. Working with my colleagues in London in Madrid, it was like living on some obscene hybrid of JST and GMT. I got to be at the center of everything happening on the Tokyo side I think I probably felt more like a proper banker than at any other point since joining Daiwa and while it's certainly not the way I'd want to spend most of my weekends, as an experience it was great.

With the project completely sneak attacking me on Friday and the consecutive late nights, I never had a chance to take my picture for the week. I did, however, get to catch a couple of great sunrises (It was already light out on the day I left at 6am). This shot is from the last of the three days and thus technically Monday morning, but I've always been of the opinion that a day doesn't actually end until you go to bed, so from my perspective it still counts as Sunday and fair game for Week 13.

I think the fact that it marked then end of what felt like an epic battle makes this picture beautiful to me. I look at it and remember the way I felt looking out from my balcony as the sky grew lighter. It was a feeling of knowing that as intense and exhausting as it had all been, we had done some damn good work. It was a feeling of conquest.

Camera Info: Canon 7D | 10mm | f/ 5.6 | ISO 500 | 1/8 s

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate. When I was about your age, I had been grooming my partying skills when the big challenge came out of nowhere, completely blindsiding me. Definitely the party of the season, I had to use all of my finely honed skills to keep from passing out before - wait for it - a beautiful sunrise beckoned all the 'late night' revelers out onto the front lawn. We all shared in that feeling of totally epic conquest...

    ReplyDelete